Top 5 most memorable breakups
- Diese Liste ist mir zu persönlich….
Top 5 recording artists
- Barry’s ‚top five musical crimes perpetrated by Stevie Wonder in the 80s and 90s‘
Barry never actually lists these, but you can be sure that ‚I Just Call To Say I Love You‘ would be on it.
- Rob’s top five favourite books
Cash by Johnny Cash;
Snow Crash by Neil Stevenson;
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert Pirsig;
The Trouser Press Guides to Rock
and ‚I don’t know, probably something by Kurt Vonnegut.‘
- Rob’s top five favourite films
Cool Hand Luke;
‚the first two Godfathers, which we’ll count as one‘;
- Your top five worst things that you have done to your partner, even if – especially if – your partner doesn’t know about them
‚Pencils down. Okay, so who’s the asshole now?‘
- Top five things Rob misses about Laura
Her sense of humour (‚very dry, but it can also be warm and forgiving‘);
character (‚loyal and honest‘);
her smell and the way she tastes;
how she walks around;
the way she rubs her feet together when she can’t get to sleep.
- Barry and Dick’s top five songs about death, ‚a Laura’s Dad tribute list‘
‚Leader of the Pack‘, the Shangri-Las;
‚Dead Man’s Curve‘, Jan & Dean;
‚Tell Laura I Love Her‘, Ray Peterson;
‚One Step Beyond‘, Madness;
‚Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald‘, Gordon Lightfoot.
Barry briefly included ‚You Can’t Always Get What You Want‘ by the Rolling Stones but then ruled it out because of its appearance in The Big Chill.
- Rob’s top five side one, track ones
‚Janie Jones‘, The Clash;
‚White Light / White Heat‘, Velvet Underground;
‚Smells Like Teen Spirit‘, Nirvana;
‚Let’s Get It On‘, Marvin Gaye;
‚Radiation Ruling the Nation‘, Massive Attack.
- Rob’s top five angry songs about women
Rob never finishes this list: ‚You kind of have to start with Elvis Costello, but where?‘
- Songs Rob would like to have sung at his funeral
‚Many Rivers to Cross‘, Jimmy Cliff;
‚Angel‘, Aretha Franklin;
‚and I’ve always had this fantasy that some beautiful, tearful woman would insist on „You’re the Best Thing That Ever Happened to Me“ by Gladys Knight. But who would that woman be?‘
- Rob’s top five dream jobs (‚Hey, that’s private!‘)
Journalist for Rolling Stone magazine, 1976–1979;
producer for Atlantic Records, 1964–1971;
any kind of musician (‚besides classical or rap‘);
film director (‚any kind except German or silent‘);
- Rob’s desert island top five
‚Sin City‘, Flying Burrito Brothers;
‚New Rose‘, The Damned;
‚Hit It and Quit It‘, Funkadelic;
‚Shipbuilding‘, Elvis Costello;
‚Mystery Train‘, Elvis Presley;
‚Spaced Cowboy‘, Sly and the Family Stone.